Recently a client sent over content for me to convert into an eLearning module in Ariculate Storyline. By the time I was almost done with the project, the client sent over an updated version of the content with content changes. In order to ensure that I didn’t miss any of the revisions, I used a online text comparison tool from http://text-compare.com/. This tool was much better than the options from Microsoft Word (for me at least).
This tool allowed me to find out exactly which text was different from the original text. Very simple to use. Thankfully, the new version I received didn’t have too many changes. Definitely a good resource to have.
The most popular and widely recognized stock image site is iStock.com. However, this is by far the priciest one of all. There are other sites are Thinkstock.com and Shutterstock.com. Those sites are a little cheaper, but not by much. The cheapest site would have to be 123rf.com. I don’t remember where I found this site, but it is a bargain.
Here’s a great example of why I use 123rf.com. Below is an image that I used for a project. Shutterstock’s pricing says 2 downloads for $29. That means this image would’ve essentially cost about $15 (half of the $29).
But for the same image, if you go to 123rf.com (below), you can download a decent size image for $3. Most of the time, you only need the medium sized option since eLearning players relatively small and the images/graphics typically do not cover the entire page/slide.
By far, 123rf.com has been the best resource in finding cheap, but quality images.
When creating knowledge checks, sometimes, it can be easier to just duplicate questions and edit the question text when you have a custom layout (and when you don’t have time to create a master layout). However, during preview, the question text will often “jump” around during the hover over state.
Solution: In the question view (not slide view), cut the question text and move it down to a blank question row. Do this for all the question text, and then move the newly-pasted questions to the top by right-clicking and choosing the “move up” option.
This week I’ve been working on various topics for a refresher course. The client wanted animated text/images so After Effects were used for these.
A client sent over some edits for a module I did in Captivate. I made the edits and uploaded it. However, when the client viewed the link, she mentioned that the edits weren’t there. I thought I made a mistake by uploading the wrong file, but when I rechecked the link, the edits were incorporated. It turns out the browser did not recognize the new file when she opened it. After viewing it in a different browser, the changes were shown…something to keep note of for future reference.