Monthly Archives: August 2014

The biggest benefit of Lectora (for me, anyways)

This week I’ve been thinking about purchasing Lectora Publisher.  Recently, I posted a comment LectoraV11Publisherin LinkedIn asking people if Lectora is going extinct.  I got a few replies and it looks like people are still utilizing it for their clients.  Also, checking Lectora’s main site shows they have a pretty up-to-date, flat-designed website (another small sign that they are still active).

Although I don’t need the Inspire version with Camtasia, SnagIt, and Flypaper (I already have Camtasia and SnagIt), I do think developing my skills as a Lectora developer can equip me to land some occasional projects where Lectora is needed.  I’ve personally been asked maybe once a year about Lectora.  Most of the time, I am asked about Storyline, Captivate, and Presenter.  I also don’t think Flypaper will be very helpful since it produces a flash output.  In those cases, I can just animate something in Flash and import it in.

I think the biggest benefit of Lectora is the fact that everything in published as a web page and the text is not an image, but actually text that you can highlight.  Also, I’m pretty confident that this output will be more stable than the rest.  Sometimes, the buttons in Storyline won’t function properly, or will not work until we refresh the module.  However, I’m thinking there will be less of that when the module acts as an webpage where the images/buttons are actual web links.

If no projects are resumed or if new projects haven’t been picked up, I might purchase it.  Maybe I’ll ask if there are any promotions going on.  The idea of investing in a program that won’t produce a return for a while (in my opinion) is not very tempting.  But, I might do it anyways to build my ID skills.

To recap, the biggest benefit of Lectora for me is the stability and the potential to be more 508 compliant than the rest.

 

This week (pretty slow week)

Many of my projects have wound down and I’ve spent this week pretty much relaxing while at the same time searching for new projects.  Today, a potential client had set up a online meeting for a possible project in Ariculate Presenter.  This client was producing various modules in Presenter.  The modules are very simple in terms of layout and flow (no VO, no moving animations, simple interactions, upload to their LMS).  We’ll see if the project solidifies soon.

Articulate Presenter 13: Random Issues

I have been using Articulate Studio since studio 09.   Whenever a project consists of publishing large courses, I noticed Articulate will occasionally freeze or publish inaccurately.  This has happened not just on one computer, but on different computers.  This error occurs more frequently when many objects are on the slide and when there are many slides in the project.  The Articulate forums are very helpful but for this issue, I wasn’t able to find a good answer.

When I used to publish very lengthy courses  that are close to an hour long with 75+ slides, Articulate 09′ will crash during publish when it gets to a certain slide.  I remember this took a significant time especially because publishing took so long to begin with.  Unfortunately this error also occurs for Studio 13.

I have a client of mine who sends me the Articulate package to fix because for some reason, his projects faces various publishing errors even when the courses are short.  Solutions will vary and it’s solved through trial and error.   There was an Articulate package I received when the client mentioned that the quizzes will not publish properly in the project.  We actually weren’t able to find a solution and ended up recreating the knowledge check.

There was a period when one computer wouldn’t open an articulate file no matter how many times I reinstalled it.  Unfortunately, I don’t recall what I did to fix it (I should’ve blogged about it, bummer!).